Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Celebrating Christmas


Hello, everyone. I know it’s been a while since I’ve blogged, what with DH’s surgery and the new job.

Our tree
 

With Christmas knocking at the door, I feel like I was caught in a whirlwind. The past seven years we’ve spent Xmas wherever our trucking happened to take us, mainly out on the road. A couple of years we landed in Las Vegas, another time in a hotel in Grand Island, NE, where we had a White Christmas with blowing snow at 60 mph. My fingers still tingle when I think of how many times we had to brave the ice and the cold to start the truck to keep the batteries from dying. We took turns and it was hard to warm up afterwards. Other times, the date just went by between truck stops and one shipper and another.

 

This year is special. Even though we don’t get to spend it with all the family, my DD2 is coming up with the 5 month old grandson. I’m very excited. Haven’t done Christmas shopping in forever (and after dealing with some of the crowds, I definitely do NOT miss it!), unless you call a quick tour of a truck stop to check out sales or, if really lucky, plan a stop at a truck-friendly Wal-Mart along one of the interstates we traveled.


Love the fireplace!
 

Family traditions, sharing and giving are an inherent part of Christmas celebrations. And I don’t mean the commercial part. Life choices have led me down a path where these traditions and times of togetherness have been few and far in between but cherished, nevertheless. DH always finds a way to make these times even more special, but then, he does that all the time. I’ve been blessed, and I believe counting your blessings is something we should do every day, not just during Christmas.

 

I plan to have a blast this Christmas. I know the only constants in life are change and death, I learned this year how sudden and without warning things happen, how they turn your world around and reshape you, and how you have no control over them.

 

My commitment is to be a bit kinder, more patient, smile a lot and focus on the positive; spread a little cheer around while baking cookies and wrapping gifts and spending precious time with loved ones.

 

Do you have family traditions or plan to start new ones? I love to hear from you so drop me a comment.

 

Merry Christmas and God bless!

1 comment: